Go Back   London Ontario Adult Forums > General Discussions > Health and Hygiene

Health and Hygiene Discussion of Health, Hygiene, Fitness, etc.

Old 11-07-2018, 10:50 AM
London Sugar Owner

Default Diabetic? Over weight? Doing the Keto Diet?

I've watched a couple videos that suggest reverse thinking in that insulin resistance causes obesity and diabetes, instead of obesity causing diabetes.
I found this video very interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da1vvigy5tQ
Old 11-07-2018, 07:09 PM
Rookie Member

Default Re: Diabetic? Over weight? Doing the Keto Diet?

Nice to see more contrary methods of diabetes control. She’s only halfway there though. You should check out Dr. Jason Fung, a nephrologist from Toronto who wrote The Diabetes Code, The Obesity Code, and The Complete Guide to Fasting. As important as what you eat is when you eat.
Old 11-09-2018, 07:49 PM
The Hug Slut

Location: Somewhere between where I am and where I want to be

I agree with some of the things she says but not with how she presents her concepts and her over simplification.
I do agree that modifying diets for everyone would be a significant health improvement for all of us and not just those who are diabetic. But getting that done is the more difficult part.

LTO_3
Old 11-09-2018, 08:23 PM
I rule this board

??? obesity has always been a known cause of Type II diabetes and if they can get skinny enough it will go away which is kinda hard taking pills that make them hungry all the time.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:28 PM
London Sugar Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Batrin View Post
??? obesity has always been a known cause of Type II diabetes and if they can get skinny enough it will go away which is kinda hard taking pills that make them hungry all the time.

Well a few are starting to believe diabetes isn't caused by obesity, it's caused by insulin resistance. Insulin resistance then causes obesity (by making you hungry all the time) which makes the diabetes worse. They claim many people have insulin resistance and don't even know it because it hasn't manifested itself into diabetes.

I was 165 pounds (I'm 5'8") when I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I went down to 135 pounds and still needed pills. Now I'm about 145 and on insulin.
As a kid I drank pop every day and always had my sugar treats. My mom would make cakes, use half a can of icing and I'd eat the rest like a yummy can of fudge. Mom also made fudge, cookies and pies. My only exercise was eating sugary treats. Hell, I even remember eating brown sugar sandwiches.
The "experts" always claimed "sugar doesn't cause diabetes". Now they say it does (well duh).
Then when you become a diabetic you learn the hard way that sugar isn't limited to the refined stuff in a bag. It's in grains, fruits and vegetables.

Then you have to learn about carbs, fiber and glycemic indexes.

God what I wouldn't give for a heaping bowl of Frosted Flakes. lol
What a horrible thought that "eating" causes health problems. That's like saying, "you may die if you breathe".
Old 11-11-2018, 08:21 PM
I rule this board

Type II diabetes also called "adult onset diabetes" and insulin resistance ARE one and the same.It can be reversed by weight loss, increased dietary fiber and exercise and in extreme cases bariatric sugery. Yours sounds like a case that converted to insulin dependent type I more common in thin juvenile onset.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:28 PM
I rule this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Batrin View Post
Type II diabetes also called "adult onset diabetes" and insulin resistance ARE one and the same.It can be reversed by weight loss, increased dietary fiber and exercise and in extreme cases bariatric sugery. Yours sounds like a case that converted to insulin dependent type I more common in thin juvenile onset.
Type I also called juvenile onset diabetes is thought to be caused by the immune system destroying the insulin producing cells in the pancreas (auto-immune) sometimes secondary to another cause.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:14 AM
Rookie Member

I was over weight 3 years back. A1c of 7 and BP 140 90 and cholesterol also high enough to have 20mg statin and BPH related urination difficulty

3 years of resistance training 3 times a week and cardio 3 times a week and eating natural food and fruits and nuts.. everything is history.. No more diabetes.. no more high bp ..no more high cholesterol.. BPH also under control and less problem with urination and best of all my libido is perfect ..have great sex without blue pill 4 times a week.
Old 12-17-2018, 01:11 PM
I like it Here

There is a book out there called "Eat yourself slim" by Michel Montignac that helped me lose 25 lbs....and keep most of off. He was one of the first (I think) to say that insulin resistance causes obesity rather than the other way around.

Here is his website

http://www.montignac.com/en/book_ite...yourself-slim/
Old 12-19-2018, 01:05 PM
Rookie Member

Penn Gillette from Penn and Teller fame has a book out called "The potato diet". A great read on losing weight and fastening.