Go Back   London Ontario Adult Forums > Entertainment > Inside Gerald's Twisted Mind

Inside Gerald's Twisted Mind Purely for Entertainment purposes

Old 11-09-2018, 08:09 AM
London Sugar Owner

Default Electric Cars

I need me one of them there electric vehicles.

I've been following the status of electric cars on YouTube and find it very interesting.
There are very good electric vehicles out there, but the main hurdle is the recharge time. You can install a charging unit in your garage but that costs a fortune and doesn't help if you take a long trip.
The great things about EV's is the lack of pollution, no more smelly fill ups at gas pumps, no more oil changes, quiet running and awesome acceleration.
The only real issue now, is the battery. However, battery technology is changing like the evolution of computers. Current batteries are good, but future batteries will be better, quicker to recharge, hold a charge for longer distance, weigh less and cost less.
Work on super capacitors, graphene, silicon and solid state batteries will be game changers in the very near future.
It will be a very odd landscape without the array of gas stations across the country, but if I can recharge my vehicle with a common 120V AC outlet in less than 15mins I will be happy.
However, we still have a long way to go before we get flying cars which are needed to get around London's horrible traffic during rush hour. lol
Old 11-09-2018, 08:45 AM
Going Deep

Default Re: Electric Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
I need me one of them there electric vehicles.

I've been following the status of electric cars on YouTube and find it very interesting.
There are very good electric vehicles out there, but the main hurdle is the recharge time. You can install a charging unit in your garage but that costs a fortune and doesn't help if you take a long trip.
The great things about EV's is the lack of pollution, no more smelly fill ups at gas pumps, no more oil changes, quiet running and awesome acceleration.
The only real issue now, is the battery. However, battery technology is changing like the evolution of computers. Current batteries are good, but future batteries will be better, quicker to recharge, hold a charge for longer distance, weigh less and cost less.
Work on super capacitors, graphene, silicon and solid state batteries will be game changers in the very near future.
It will be a very odd landscape without the array of gas stations across the country, but if I can recharge my vehicle with a common 120V AC outlet in less than 15mins I will be happy.
However, we still have a long way to go before we get flying cars which are needed to get around London's horrible traffic during rush hour. lol

Gerald, here is something that headlined the news write ups today on EV. Some of it very interesting on how other countries are adapting to EV.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...pread-adoption
Old 11-09-2018, 02:04 PM
I like it Here

There are some affordable options out there.

GMís Volt is a Hybrid that allows you to do the majority of your smaller commutes on EV only and has a petro engine to alleviate range anxiety.

Iíve been following a few owners and some report only needing a fill up after 3 months of EV driving for mostly in town. Decent car, hatchback configuration.

When you look at the upfront costs of a quickcharger, the savings in fuel can be made up pretty quickly. Even when we bitch about the price of Hydro, the cost is actually very stable compared to petro and the cost per kilometre travelled is pennies for electric, compared to dollars for petro.

The Bolt is pure EV and does have good range but, there is no petro capability to bail you out.

Tesla, nice machine but, expensive. And serviceability is questionable as you must take it to a Tesla deale for any repairs and reports of long wait times for parts means it could be longer than taking in your regular petro car.

Itís a coming of age for sure......when it comes time to replace my wheels, Iíll be looking closely at them.

Iíll also have a classic vehicle or motorcycle to burn up fossil fuel for as long as I can. Lol
Old 11-09-2018, 02:57 PM
London Sugar Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stantheman View Post
There are some affordable options out there.

GM’s Volt is a Hybrid that allows you to do the majority of your smaller commutes on EV only and has a petro engine to alleviate range anxiety.

I’ve been following a few owners and some report only needing a fill up after 3 months of EV driving for mostly in town. Decent car, hatchback configuration.

When you look at the upfront costs of a quickcharger, the savings in fuel can be made up pretty quickly. Even when we bitch about the price of Hydro, the cost is actually very stable compared to petro and the cost per kilometre travelled is pennies for electric, compared to dollars for petro.

The Bolt is pure EV and does have good range but, there is no petro capability to bail you out.

Tesla, nice machine but, expensive. And serviceability is questionable as you must take it to a Tesla deale for any repairs and reports of long wait times for parts means it could be longer than taking in your regular petro car.

It’s a coming of age for sure......when it comes time to replace my wheels, I’ll be looking closely at them.

I’ll also have a classic vehicle or motorcycle to burn up fossil fuel for as long as I can. Lol

I've been looking at reviews of the Hyundai Kona EV. It looks impressive.
I also looked at a review of an electric bike that looked amazing. No gear shifting, no gas, no noise. It moves so quickly you have to watch your speed and you don't even realize how fast you are going compared to fuel cycles.
Also checked out a review of an electric plane that looked wild as well.

By 2020 they should have new technology batteries that will change the world. It's literally a race now to see who can produce and patent the most advanced battery system.
There is still work being done on hydrogen fuel cells, but that would mean hydrogen installed at every gas station. By the time that system is in place, it will most likely be outdated technology.
Really, it seems to be the "solid state" battery that is the holy grail. Something I believe Samsung is going to start using for their cell phones.
Old 11-09-2018, 11:24 PM
Still learning

Thank goodness we now have legalized pot sales to collect tax from. I'm sure one of the reasons the EV developers weren't getting any help (or were being thwarted, like the Quebec firm 10 years ago) had something to do with the billions in gasoline tax that will go 'up in smoke'.

Not long from now, Canada will be held up as a shining example, IMHO, of forward thinking and good planning - for the environment and much more (like new plaid designs - I sure miss Bob and Doug!!).

On the other hand, a couple of Alice B Toklas fudge brownies and we may not even care...

Jazz
Old 11-14-2018, 11:35 AM
Rookie Member

I have nissan leaf. Very happy with it.
summer range of 240 km and winter range of 170 km per charge.
It has 40 kwh battery. Bolt has 60 kwh. so range and price also higher but nissan has better interior and safety features.
No more stressed about gas price !
Old 11-15-2018, 08:53 AM
I like it Here

I can confirm most of the good stuff about the Volt - I can get around 90 KMs on a full charge, but drops quite a bit if you need heat in the car in the winter... I charge at home (Woodstock) overnight once or twice a week, and charge at work downtown (London) everyday - I never really run down or get to the gas station - I have saved all 3 gas receipts for this year's fillups, and the 1/2 tank I have now will probably not get used until next year...

I'm also keeping an eye out on the Kona EV... it does look very appealing and interesting