Go Back   London Ontario Adult Forums > Reviews and Discussions of Local Public Services > Other Local Services

Other Local Services Share your experience with any businesses in the London area

Old 07-07-2007, 11:29 PM
Rookie Member

Default Re: Anybody know...

if you need one length 350 feet long go to TES (torbram electric supply) on Adleaide. if it is for your home and need several lengths under 70 feet or so 16 AWG will do, lampcord wire SPT2 is right size for surface wiring. if it is to be enlosed in walls, floors, or ceilings it is required to be fire rated for flame spread and that is why it costs more for it. however what i used for my family room is i bought 3 16 awg 2 conductor (16/2) outdoor extension cords from Walmart for about $8 each, they are same awg as you would need for a family room and are FT-4 rated, same as speaker wire baught at home depot.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:56 AM
This user has been Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
Where I can get some good, but cheap speaker wire?
I need about 350 feet.
Ebay Lots of cheep stuff on Ebay www.ebay.ca
Old 07-09-2007, 02:55 AM
Wasting my time away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
Well, it's not one wire. The furthest speaker is 50 feet, but I'm hooking up 2 stereo speakers and a 5 point surround sound system.
I'm hoping a 12 gauge speaker wire will be okay.
It really depends on the quality of the components being used. If you are running a good reciever and good speakers your best bet is to go with a quality wire of at least 12 guage, 8 guage would work better if your stereo receiver is putting out a good amount of wattage. If your receiver is putting out in the neighbourhood of 100 watts RMS per channel, then I would recommend 8 guage.

Just remember Gerald that when hooking up your speakers, that all the lenghts to each speaker should be the same length. This way you won't cause any time shift problems and should have the system sounding the way it was meant to.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:51 AM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpedro View Post

Just remember Gerald that when hooking up your speakers, that all the lenghts to each speaker should be the same length. This way you won't cause any time shift problems and should have the system sounding the way it was meant to.
.. and I'm sure the neighbours will love you for it
Old 07-09-2007, 08:48 AM
London Sugar Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorjaxxx View Post
.. and I'm sure the neighbours will love you for it
So I guess watching Die Hard with my sub cranked is a bad idea? lmao
Nothing like a good explosion to rattle my neighbour's closet doors.

Thanks to everyone for the replies.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:05 PM
If I had a dollar for every post......

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpedro View Post
It really depends on the quality of the components being used. If you are running a good reciever and good speakers your best bet is to go with a quality wire of at least 12 guage, 8 guage would work better if your stereo receiver is putting out a good amount of wattage. If your receiver is putting out in the neighbourhood of 100 watts RMS per channel, then I would recommend 8 guage.

If he's got a good receiver, he can time delay based on the length of wire. There won't be distortion if set up right. As for the rest, I agree. The better wire used, the better the sound.

G - depending on time and budget, you can get good wire at Forest City Surplus, but your best bet it to buy a large spindle. If you shop or can make it to T O, you can get wholesale pricing.