Go Back   London Ontario Adult Forums > General Discussions > Health and Hygiene

Health and Hygiene Discussion of Health, Hygiene, Fitness, etc.

Old 12-21-2014, 11:10 PM
Advanced Member

Default The Colonoscopy

I write this today to maybe bring some more understanding to this topic.
My father died of colon cancer (many years ago now) so i have been the lucky recipient of two of these procedures now. Both clean (pardon the pun.)
Folks, I write this after talking to some friends about it. Everyon is scared shitless about getting one, and i dont think they really understand it. and they are embarrassed by it.
Yes, you have to clean out your bowel by drinking a gawdawful solution that empties you out. No, its not pleasant. And you need to drink a lot to keep your fluids and electrolytes up. May i strongly suggest if u need one that you use a little vaseline or something like it to protect your but from irritation when you start drinking the stuff!
Once cleaned out you go to your procedure. they take you in, hook you up to the monitors to get you ready. It is common to be offered sedation. I personally decline, it doesnt agree with me,(reaction) but its very common. I think more than 90% take sedation- but i say why? I got to watch the whole thing on a 60" bigscreen! cool! If the colonoscopy centre can have a 60 i should at least have a 65!! People!! yes, i felt the scope go in, but thats it! I lay there and watched them feed it through and the ONLY time i felt it was when they went around the corners! I watched the whole thing, like a movie scene out of aliens. Felt virtually nothing, was over in a half hour, and because i wasnt sedated was kicked out of "recovery" in a few minutes and could drive myself.
They say everyone should have one at 50. Ive had two. They say many people decline to have one because they are scared. Dont be. the prep is like the morning after a 6 pack and some bad chinese food. Not pleasant. But the test is nothing. (prostate exam was worse! lol) If you need it, have it done< could save your life. And if they find a polyp they can remove it then and there, from the inside, painlessly, no scars on your outside, no cancer down the road.
Hope this is helpful.
Old 12-22-2014, 04:33 AM
London Sugar VIP

Default Re: The Colonoscopy

I have had a couple.the worst part is drinking that horrible stuff and when you go to the john bring a book cause you will be there for a while.i didn't like it a lot when they filled you up with air and it was uncomfortable for me the first time and the second time they added a amnesiac along with the sedation and didn't remember anything. last year the doctor gave me a packet where you smear a sample of stool on a series of cards,seal them and send in the mail.easy!
Old 12-22-2014, 06:27 AM
I rule this board

The slight pain and inconvenience of the scope job is minuscule compared to what potentially could happen if you ignore it due to vanity, fear or whatever..But on your big boy pants and get it done guys?.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:42 PM
Here to have fun!

Thanks for the info, I'm thinking of having one done in the new year. I'll be 36 this coming year, might as well start early.
Old 12-22-2014, 02:22 PM
formerly vitek2steve

It wasn't anywhere near as frightful as I thought, even did a gastroscope at the same time, gastro then colon, didn't get the order wrong with the scopes. Actually they really use two different pieces of equipment. LOL
Old 12-22-2014, 03:11 PM
London Sugar VIP

make sure you tell the doctor that maybe he should have taken me out to dinner first,i did and the nurses got a good laugh and I even told them I want pictures too so I can see what they saw and they gave me pics to take home.it will break the ice
Old 12-22-2014, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member

I asked if i could get a video of the procedure! They told me the dont record them. Found some videos on line and watched them though.
I'm really glad i did it without sedation. It was really interesting to watch, the doc kept a running dialogue of where he was which shocked me because i didnt feel a thing! Now if they had offered to sedate me during the cleanse i might have taken them up on that lol.
I didnt get to see the first one so this was pretty cool. We were crackin jokes through the whole thing. Im sure the one young nurse was brand new because she had no idea how to take me because i was lucid and joking around. She even offered to help me dress, so i asked for a manicure and pedicure when she took me to recovery. It was like a spa day! lol
Old 12-22-2014, 06:21 PM
I like it Here

I'm 58 and I had one colonoscopy when I turned 50. Fortunately they gave me enough drugs I was passed out.
Since then I have done the poop on a stick thing every couple of years.
I must be low risk category because there is no family history.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:13 PM
Advanced Member

the poop on a stick is a hemocult blood test. only tells u if there blood in your stools. by then it could be too late. was for my dad.

Last edited by mr.clean; 12-22-2014 at 09:33 PM.
Old 12-23-2014, 05:07 PM
I like it Here

So you're saying that the only definitive test is the actual colonoscopy and poop on a stick is not an adequate test to see if there is a problem?