Go Back   London Ontario Adult Forums > General Discussions > Health and Hygiene

Health and Hygiene Discussion of Health, Hygiene, Fitness, etc.

Old 12-23-2014, 05:13 PM
Cookie Member

Default Re: The Colonoscopy

I am thinking they are two different tests and are used for differing situations.

Berny
PS recently my father had internal hemorrhaging from somewhere in the colon but the colonoscopy could never find where it was.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:01 PM
Go Knights Go

I've had 2. I think I'm starting to like them,dam I'm a sick person. Found a few issues all good now.
I think all men should have them when they hit 50. I did and it saved me big time.

Last edited by Riddler; 12-23-2014 at 06:08 PM.
Old 12-23-2014, 09:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodee View Post
So you're saying that the only definitive test is the actual colonoscopy and poop on a stick is not an adequate test to see if there is a problem?
I am not a doctor, but, from what ive been told the hemocult (poop stick) only tells you if there is bleeding somewhere. you could have a polyp growing for years that never bleeds until it becomes cancerous. Thats why they push the colonoscopy starting at age 50 to be repeated every 10 years.

heres a polyp removal thats easy to watch:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewCIqAAJGPg

heres one with a huge polyp:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV21FJ_kLSo requires a little more stomach to watch. but there was no bleeding with either one.

Last edited by mr.clean; 12-23-2014 at 09:35 PM.
Old 12-23-2014, 09:48 PM
I'm a King Bee

It's getting close to that time for me to get one of these. I've had a prostate exam. Cancer is has been pretty rampant on my Dads side of the family. Can't be too careful.
Old 12-23-2014, 09:49 PM
This user has been Banned!

I had one last year, and a couple years before that a barium enema, and let me tell ya, the barium was no fun at all, cause I was awake, whereas for the colonoscopy I was under. That bloating feeling from the barium was horrid and then trying to remove it all after was not fun either.

After my colonoscopy, did the recovery and stopped with my ride at Wendys for lunch. I recommended starting a fluid uptake program a few days ahead of time, to pack your cells full of water.

I was scared, but now that I have been there done that. its only 3.5 years until I can do it again.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gleaner View Post
I had one last year, and a couple years before that a barium enema, and let me tell ya, the barium was no fun at all, cause I was awake, whereas for the colonoscopy I was under. That bloating feeling from the barium was horrid and then trying to remove it all after was not fun either.

After my colonoscopy, did the recovery and stopped with my ride at Wendys for lunch. I recommended starting a fluid uptake program a few days ahead of time, to pack your cells full of water.

I was scared, but now that I have been there done that. its only 3.5 years until I can do it again.
LOL! guess i was lucky! the doc told me i might feel bloated when he added air, i felt nothing! and getting to watch it this time- wow! i honestly forgot where that hubbel telescope was located while he was talking to me as i watched it! if they asked me to do it again i would if i didnt have to do the awful prep. the "wait of shame" in the waiting room is just as bad, everyone hangin there heads. but the test was cool to watch. I didnt get to watch the first one and i was scared then, but i was also only 20 yrs old, didnt feel the scope. this one was easy.

Last edited by mr.clean; 12-23-2014 at 10:21 PM.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:18 PM

The doctor I had seemed kinda gruff in the office, and that had me worried he would be using the camera like a plumber uses a drain snake. I forget what was used for the barium prep, but it was nowhere near as awful as what I got for the scope clean out.

Afterwards, you have no interest in soup broth, jello or gatorade for a few days.

It did scare me into a better diet, thats for sure.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:24 PM
Advanced Member

Hopefully they come up with a better prep before my next one in 5 years. family genetics sucks.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:29 PM

Wait until you go through a barium enema prep, and because you cannot take the pain and the way your colon is located inside you, its incomplete.

It was like staying up all night and studying for the wrong test in school
Old 12-23-2014, 10:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gleaner View Post
Wait until you go through a barium enema prep, and because you cannot take the pain and the way your colon is located inside you, its incomplete.

It was like staying up all night and studying for the wrong test in school
Ive done that too. guess im lucky, it wasnt hard to do. no pain. i downed that 'milkshake" they gave me in seconds flat. they gave me cod liver oil for the prep to clean me out. tasted awful but not as hard on my stomach as the purgodan.